Playing with Helmets

Did a bit of work on my current sallet, since a brow reinforce is one of the things you see on 15th century sallets a lot. Since I now have a large diameter torch, I built a reinforce, rough dished it and then stuck it on the helm to blend in on. Since “hot” steel moves like clay, I used the helm as an oversized planishing stake, with a ball stake on the inside. Here are a few pics showing the series.

Note that I did need to rivet to keep from just pushing the metal around the skull, but the final result got a close blend on the crest of the helm, which is similar to the medieval originals. It will be nicer once I grind and clean up!

The rough shaped reinforce riveted to the helm at the bottom edge
Rough shaping – no heat yet

The first heat applied to the helm showing how easy the blending is
First Heat
Rough blending - now adding rivets to lock the form down
Halfway point
The overall look after blending
Final skull shape
Close fit after blending
Close fit after blending

This has demonstrated that the technique works quite nicely – now I need to get a decent 2-piece sallet pattern appropriate for a bellows visor put together and continue from that. This is closer to an early (1440 era) sallet, since the line of the helm skirt comes to just below the nose, while sallets with bellows visors had a skirt that dropped to or below the chin

Leave a Reply